|Pre-Seminar Required Readings on Immigration
The following articles on New Jersey immigration have been selected by Professor Virginia Yans in
preparation for the NJDH Educators' Summer Seminar. They are required reading for all participants who will be attending
the seminar on July 5 at Rutgers University. The articles will serve as a basis for questions and discussion on our
electronic forum, which will be moderated by William Fernekes, Social Studies Supervisor at Hunterdon Central Regional
High School and NJDH Educators' consultant.
Access to these resources is restricted to seminar participants. Click here if you need the password sent to you.
- Barkan, Elliott. "The Recent Era of Immigration to the United States, 1965 to Present" in Major Problems in American Immigration and Ethnic History, Boston. Houghton Mifflin, 1998.
- Guglielmo, Thomas A. and Earl Lewis. "Changing Racial Meanings: Race and Ethnicity in the United States, 1930-1964" in The Columbia Documentary History of Race and Ethnicity in America, Columbia University Press, 2004.
- Lurie, Maxine and Marc Mappen, eds. Excerpts, The Encyclopedia of New Jersey, Rutgers University Press, 2004.
- Ngai, Mae M. "Race, Nation, and Citizenship in Late Nineteenth-Century America, 1878-1900" in The Columbia Documentary History of Race and Ethnicity in America, Columbia University Press, 2004.
- "Population Migration from and to Other States, July, 1995 to July, 1996" in The New Jersey Almanac 1997-1998 ed., Public Affairs Research Institute of New Jersey, 1997.