Transcript of Testimony of Moses Finley before the Senate Subcommittee PDF version (4.5MB)
Please read the document below and then answer the ten questions at the end.
- What is Moses Finley's occupation and where does he work?
- How would you explain the fact that Professor Finley answered some questions and pleaded the 5th Amendment for others?
- Why do you think Mr. Morris asked Mr. Finley so many questions about Mr. Thorner, Mr. Norman, Mr. Rosinger and others?
- What is the logic behind the analysis of whether or not another person can know if someone else was a communist?
- What was Mr. Finley's definition of being a communist? Why is it a significant distinction?
- Is there an important reason why Mr. Morris would need clarification on the definition of a meeting that presumably occurred in 1938 and 1939? Explain?
- Why do you think Mr. Finley would not state whether or not he knew any communists?
- Why do you think Mr. Morris and Senator Watkins wanted to clarify the issue of whether or not Mr. Finley knew any communists in the past and if he knew their communist status on that date?
- Do you think that Mr. Finley cooperated with the Senate Subcommittee? Explain your answer.
- Should his experience within this testimony be held against his tenure at Rutgers?