Think Like an Historian About Primary Source Documents
Scaffolding For Critical Reading
- Who do you think created the document? Can you tell?
- Who is the targeted audience? (Please consider age, gender, class, culture)
- What general time period was this document created?
- What does it say about the culture during that time period?
- What style is represented: persuasive, reflective, informational (please be aware of language, tone or the font size)
- How accurate are the documents? Are they based on fact or opinion?
- Did they obtain their objective?
- Are there biases presented by the document or picture?
- What are the key ideas, best supported ideas, interesting or unique information?